Demolition is something you may have to do from time to time. Although not generally considered ‘development’, planning permission may be required - so confirm with your client this is in place before starting any work.

There are two types of demolition - partial or complete removal. Partial demolition is trickier as you have to provide support to the remaining structure, which may include window strutting, floor props and shoring. And it may also involve a lot of elbow grease as powered equipment may be unsuitable.

You must inform your local authority in writing at least six weeks in advance of your intention to demolish (the building control department usually deals with demolitions). Utilities providers and adjacent or adjoining building owners must also be informed in advance, especially if party walls will be affected. Some buildings don’t require notification such as:

  • Buildings under 1750 cubic feet.
  • Attached greenhouses, prefabricated garages, conservatories or sheds.
  • Detached agricultural buildings.

Important considerations around demolition

Pre-demolition requirements

The local authority will specify pre-demolition requirements, which may include shoring, protection of adjacent buildings against damage, collapse or water damage, debris-disposal and safety measures.

Detailed survey

Carry out a detailed survey that should include the impact of removing parts of the structure and the effect of demolition on neighbouring properties. If in doubt, employ a structural engineer to assess the method of demolition.

Construction (Design and Management) Regulations

The Construction (Design and Management) Regulations (CDM) apply. This results in Health and Safety duties being transferred to the designer, contractor, and site workers. More information is available on the HSE website.

Local authority approval

You’ll need local authority approval for any alterations to listed buildings and those in conservation areas - and this may be limited to just partial demolition.

Experienced contractors

Don’t scrimp - use an experienced contractor as demolition is skilled and potentially dangerous work.


You may encounter asbestos - use a specialist contractor to remove it from site before demolition starts.

Salvage materials

Think about salvaging materials and components such as bricks, tiles, slates and timber as you could make a few extra quid!

For more information, contact your local authority building control team or take a look at BS 6187:2011 Code of practice for full and partial demolition.

Please Note: Every care was taken to ensure the information in this article was correct at the time of publication. Any written guidance provided does not replace the reader’s professional judgement and any construction project should comply with the relevant Building Regulations or applicable technical standards. However, for the most up to date LABC Warranty technical guidance please refer to your Risk Management Surveyor and the latest version of the LABC Warranty technical manual.

Was this post helpful? /