Senior Claims Handler
- Job Title | Senior Claims Handler
- Reports to | Claims Team Leader
- Department | Claims
- Location | Head Office (Birkenhead)
To work within a Claims environment, processing and handling of new and existing claims. Managing your own caseload of claims, aiding and supporting Claims Team Leader and Head of Claims, liaising as necessary with Technical Surveyors and operating strictly within FCA regulations and guidelines.
Overview of Responsibilities
- Provide advice on making a claim and the processes involved.
- Process new insurance claims notifications.
- Collect accurate information and documents to proceed with a claim.
- Analyse a claim made by a policymaker.
- Guide policyholders on how to proceed with the claim.
- Manage your own caseload of files ensuring they are proactively and correctly handled and that there is a fair settlement of a valid claim.
- Set and maintain appropriate reserves throughout the lifecycle of all claims.
- Handle claims declinatures and appeals.
- Ensure the customer is treated fairly and that the customer receives excellent service in accordance with industry and company guidelines.
- Adhere to legal requirements, industry regulations and customer quality standards set by the company.
- Regularly review and improve existing processes.
- Undertake any other duties as reasonably required.
- A general understanding of the insurance market and related products.
- Ability to deal professionally with clients/management/staff at all levels.
- Ability to work under pressure to a high standard.
- A high level of written and verbal communication skills.
- A strong decision maker.
- Enthusiastic and committed with a desire to achieve and exceed targets.
- A high level of listening and problem solving skills.
- Excellent prioritising skills.
- Able to react quickly and effectively when dealing with challenging situations.
- Proven experience of understanding the importance of providing excellent customer service and experience in delivering customer support.
- To be self motivated and have the ability to motivate others.
- Work well with other team members.
- Working knowledge of FCA regulations.
- Well organised and conscientious with ability to plan and monitor work taks.
- Good IT skills, including Windows Office Suite and knowledge of databases.
- To have worked in an Insurance related area.
- Knowledge of claims systems and procedures.
- An understanding of latent defects principles.
- Experience dealing with larger and complex insurance claims.