- Job Title | Plans Checker
- Reports to | Technical Support Manager
- Department | MDWSS
- Location | Home working
The effective application of building regulations knowledge and the efficient assessment and processing of building regulation applications, working with builders and/or technical staff to develop good customer relations.
Overview of Responsibilities
Duties of the post include, but are not limited to:
- Taking responsibility for the assessment of building regulation applications for residential developments and associated non-residential uses typically over 11 metres high.
- Contributing to the assessment of building regulation applications for other type of developments.
- Pre and post design negotiations with clients to ensure effective compliance with the Building Regulations and technical issues.
- Assisting in the resolution, by persuasion, negotiation, and formal proceedings, of problems relating to Initial Notices, design approvals, site work and final certificates.
- Examining detailed drawings and supplementary information in accordance with specified procedures and performance targets, for Building Control, and conversion applications.
- To issue site and type approvals to clients promptly to specified standards and guidance.
- Advise/guide the industry and the public regarding the Building Regulations, technical issues and company standards.
- Promoting company services to existing and potential clients.
- Supporting inspection staff by the provision of expert advice, communication of key stages for inspection staff relating to complex Building Control elements.
- Undertake any other duties as reasonably required.
- Fully qualified Surveyor (MRICS, TechRICS, MBEng, MCIOB, or similar) with relevant experience is desirable but not essential.
- In depth technical knowledge of Building Regulations and other relevant construction standards.
- Requires basic understanding of general insurance principals and terminology desirable.
- Ability to undertake site inspections to assess both quality and the cause/effect of building defects.
- Commercial awareness and ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to create not only good working relationships with other construction professionals but to be able to deal effectively with members of the public.
- The ability to meet deadlines and manage own workload within agreed parameters.
- Working knowledge of MS Outlook (email), MS Word, MS Excel.
- Demonstrable ability to use own initiative.
- Ability to motivate self and influence others.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Full UK Driving License.
- Flexible in personal approach.