The need for a credible basement waterproofing specialist

This technical article provides additional guidance on the need for a credible basement waterproof specialist. It is important that all workmanship carried out during construction is completed in accordance with the relevant tolerances.

Converting damp basements and building parts of new dwellings below ground has become more popular with self-builders and developers. More living space can be created within the limits of the building footprint without the need to build too high. This can lead to an increased risk of water ingress if not designed or installed properly. This means it is essential that the risk is managed accordingly by engaging the appropriate specialists.

The need for a credible basement waterproofing specialist


For our warranty purposes, the services of a waterproofing specialist must be engaged for the construction of basements, floors and other structures that are constructed partially or entirely below ground, where the passage of moisture into the building must be prevented.

A typical example of a construction partially below ground would be where any floor on a sloping site becomes below ground level on one or more elevations.


BS8102:2009 Code of practice for protection of below-ground structures against water from the ground clause 4.2 states that: “A waterproofing specialist should be included as part of the design team so that an integrated waterproofing solution is created”. 

The Technical Manual Section 2.1.1 Basements (Substructure – Design responsibility) states that: “A waterproofing specialist be included as part of the design team from the earliest stages...The waterproofing specialist must take responsibility for the design liability of the waterproofing and have appropriate professional indemnity cover which covers their business activities. They must also have an understanding of hydrology and soil mechanics and hold a relevant professional qualification (i.e. Certificated Surveyor in Structural Waterproofing)”.


A credible waterproofing specialist would be someone who has gained the Certificated Surveyor in Structural Waterproofing qualification.

Where can I find them?

Individuals who have attained the above qualification, hold the required Professional Indemnity Insurance and who have met the requirements of the Property Care Association can be found here.

Every care was taken to ensure information in this article was correct at the time of writing (March 2021). Guidance provided does not replace the reader’s professional judgement and any construction project should comply with the relevant building regulations or applicable technical standards. For the most up to date LABC Warranty technical guidance please refer to your risk management surveyor and the latest version of the LABC Warranty Technical Manual.

Was this post helpful? /