The wait is over! Plans to extend the Permitted Development (PD) rights have been made permanent.

Introduced in 2013, developers and builders have been able to convert underused empty office spaces into new homes without having to apply for planning permission.

So how do the recent changes affect you?

What if you already have permission?

These new rights have lifted the uncertainty for those who already have prior approval or who have secured permission and will have 3 years in which to complete the change of use.

What about the areas exempt from PD rights?

Those areas currently exempt from the office to residential PD rights will have until May 2019 to make an Article 4 direction if they wish to continue determining planning applications for the change of use. There are areas in 17 local authorities in England that are currently exempt from the rights, including:

  • The City of London
  • The London Central Activities Zone, which covers parts of the boroughs of Camden, Islington, Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Southwark, Lambeth, Wandsworth, Westminster, Newham, and Kensington and Chelsea
  • Areas in the borough councils of Stevenage, and Ashford (Kent)
  • Areas in the district councils of Sevenoaks and East Hampshire
  • Manchester City Centre

Summary of changes

  • Permitted Development rights to be made permanent
  • 3 years to complete change of use for those who already have permission
  • New rights introduced to enable change of use of light industrial buildings and launderettes to new homes

Did you know you can benefit from a pre-quote desktop refurbishment assessment before your project starts? Get in touch with us.

By Frzana Ferguson

Please Note: Every care was taken to ensure the information in this article was correct at the time of publication. Any written guidance provided does not replace the reader’s professional judgement and any construction project should comply with the relevant Building Regulations or applicable technical standards. However, for the most up to date LABC Warranty technical guidance please refer to your Risk Management Surveyor and the latest version of the LABC Warranty technical manual.

Was this post helpful? /